Saturday, December 3, 2011

The hidden rapports that help the most

When I think of who a school counselor works with, the obvious come to mind: the students, the parents, the teachers, and administration. As the semester is coming to a close, I am realizing more and more the importance between the counselor and ..(drum roll please..)

                                                    THE principal!

When I look at my supervisors school and think of all the people she has built a solid rapport with, the principal is clearly a front runner. After having spent multiple years together, they know their own roles, and the role of the other person as well. My supervisor tells the principal what he needs to know, and at the same time, keeps an appropriate level of confidentiality with her students. This principal does not feel the need to know every detail because he truly trusts the counselor and lets her do her job so he can do his job to the best of his ability. I also had no idea how hard it was to be a principal.  They are constantly being pulled in 10 different directions and need to support, advocate and be a boss to everyone in the school. It seems like a difficult role and takes a structured, hard-working personality to succeed in.

It is trust, honesty, and a genuine respect for the other person that goes far in this school and I feel fortunate to be watching a healthy relationship continue to unfold. It enables both the counselor and the principal to do the best job that they can and do what helps the students the most. So to my future principal, I would love to work WITH you, supporting students in all they do so they can achieve.