Wednesday, December 21, 2011

Merry?...Happy?...Learning to be the "Politically correct" counselor

December: the most joyful month of the year. It is a time when family and friends get together and enjoy one anther's company.. To be honest, when I think of December, one things comes to mind: Christmas. Yet as a counselor, our role is to be accepting of others, compassionate, open, and loving towards those we work with. After just googling "December holidays", this is the list that came up:
  • Ramadan (Muslim)
  • Eid al-Fitr (Muslim)
  • Saint Nicholas Day (Christian)
  • Eid'ul-Adha (Muslim)
  • Fiesta of Our Lady of Guadalupe (Mexican)
  • St. Lucia Day (Swedish)
  • Hanukkah (Jewish)
  • Christmas Day (Christian)
  • Three Kings Day/Epiphany (Christian)
  • Boxing Day (Australian, Canadian, English, Irish)
  • Kwanzaa (African American)
  • Omisoka (Japanese)
Sadly, I did not know some of these holidays existed yet  I expect everyone else to know the "in's and out's" of Christmas.  My view of December is quickly changing, and maybe for the better. If I want to decorate my office with a tree, I feel that I should have a menorah, a crescent moon and star, and Kwanza candles on display as well. The more I learn, the more I grow, and what better way to learn about other religions and cultures than to talk to those who experience them : the children and their families.

So Happy, Merry, bless, and cheers to those who celebrate December in all forms, ways, places, and celebrations!