Sunday, December 4, 2011

PSCA Conference: The importance of sharing ideas.

I am still so excited about Friday that I just had to share it with the rest of the blogging world. Hundreds of Pennsylvania school counselors met in Lancaster  this past Wednesday-Saturday  for the 56th annual PSCA conference. I had never been there before and was amazed to see the ideas and research people were sharing. Over the course of this school year, I have come to fully appreciate the value of the sharing of information. In order to be a great school counselor, it is imperative to spread your ideas as well as try the ideas of others.

Brian Law, President Elect of ASCA( 2010-2011), held a seminar about celebrating school counseling. He is a true example of a skilled leader who is making a difference in this world.  In a tough economy, it is safe to say that school counseling jobs are scarce, yet we need to show anyone and everyone how important this profession is and the dramatic differences that a counselor can make in a school. In order to do this, we need to collect current and relevant data on problem areas, implement programs that will help student succeed and finally evaluate what has been done and what needs further help. If you ever have the chance to hear the southern voice of Brian Law, I highly recommend it.

On a Northern note, I also had the opportunity to hear Barbara Micucci speak about a small group she created for Siblings of Special needs children. Not only was I amazed by her passion for what she does, it also made me stop and think about ALL the "untapped" groups of individuals that I have not reached out to.  I have been involved with many divorce, self-esteem, friendship, and grieving  groups, which are all clearly very important and  helpful, yet what about children who are experiencing unique lifestyles and think they are the only ones who are going through it? The siblings of those with special needs may not get the voice that they need, but Barb Micucci gave them a voice; which is making me think... whose voice am I not hearing?



The executive board of PSCA