Monday, January 23, 2012

Chinese chop sticks in second grade

When I planned for my day at my internship, the last thing I would have guessed that would pop into my life would be learning about culture in 2C. A second grade classroom took the time today to learn about the Chinese New Year. Parents from the Chinese culture brought in information, dragon costumes and more to help us understand how the holiday works and what unique events take place during their New Years celebration.

It got me thinking about cultural awareness and diversity. Some of the children had never held chop sticks while others were eating their dumplings with no problem at all. I would love to do a cultural awareness day and/or diversity day at the future school I work at, and would love some ideas for how to get the entire community involved.
Any advice on other holidays/events that the school could benefit from? What does your cultural day look like?