Saturday, December 15, 2012

Advisory Council

This past week I held my first Advisory Council meeting. This is a fancy term for gathering teachers, parents, students, administrators, and community members together for a morning of breakfast and learning about the counseling program. This group will meet twice a year, once in December and once in June, to discuss the department and how it can grow and become a stronger program. The meeting started at 7:45am and was over by 8:25am. We got bagels and O.J. and spread the word.

Since this is the first year there has been a full-time counselor at our school, I have had the opportunity to lay the foundation for what our counseling department is going to look like. I presented information from the teacher survey, the student survey and what the district "said" a school counselor "should" be doing. I also created a rough draft for my mission statement and my vision for the department. I shared information about the American School Counselors Association (ASCA) model looks like and how I would like to model my counseling program like that.

This was a PHENOMENAL way to let every group I work with understand the tasks of a school counselor and get feedback from each group about how to improve.

I would definitely recommend doing this for your school to get the word out about school counseling at your school!