Sunday, February 10, 2013

Positive Behavior Boys Group

I have just finished working with 2 small groups of boys between 3rd and 5th grade. These students were chosen by having the most referrals in our school. These boys are spontaneous, active, and work well with incentives to complete their work.  I made a "deal" with them that if they do not get any referrals and participate each week in group, then at the end of the 6 weeks, I will bring in my sneakers and we will play whatever sport they want to outside during our group time (30 minutes). This "deal" worked very well! These boys used strategies we talked about in group to stay out of the office and stayed in the classroom! Below is a picture of our ideas (Rules!) that we wanted to use in group. The bottom poster shares how each one of us is different and unique.

The behaviorist in me knew that I could not just go "cold turkey" with this group. In order to keep them invested in the idea of staying out of the office, I told them that each month that they do NOT get in trouble, we would be able to go outside and play a sport again. They all seem on board- fingers crossed that this incentive will work!