Thursday, January 2, 2014

Holiday presents to staff

I wanted to share a simple, inexpensive present I gave to staff members this holiday. Being the school counselor gives us the ability to work with literally.. everyone.. in the school. I love this part of the job, but when I think about how to buy presents or make presents, I wanted to stay within my budget, but also let people I know that I appreciate them. While the homeroom teachers get presents from their students, many of the "resource" teachers, front office staff, special education teachers, aids, etc. might not get as much love as they should!  I got jelly jars from the local grocery store (the Dollar store also has these!), and made candied pecans.

Candied Pecans:
1 Tablespoon Water
1 egg white beaten
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
1 1/2 pounds of pecans

Preheat oven to 250 degrees. Mix together the ingredients and add pecans with a slotted spoon. Place pecans on cookie sheet with parchment paper on single layer.  Cook for one hour. Let cool, separate pecans and store in container. They freeze well too!

I doubled the recipe and made jelly jars for 16 people and had  left overs too:)

The hardest part was waiting an hour to "taste test" these little treats.

It was a little something that staff members enjoyed and I hope you will as well!

Nuts for school counseling,
Your Floridian Chick!