Monday, April 14, 2014

Generation W Conference #GenW

Wow! What a conference! Prior to the day, I had never heard of Generation W, but after participating in this event, I left with a huge appreciation for this organization and what they stand for. Below you will see the itinerary for the jam packed day- while each speaker/panel shared important information, I came away with a few key points:

1. Thinking about your own job: what are 3 adjectives you would use to describe your role? If someone was going to describe you in 3 words, what would they use? If these 3 words do not match up with the 3 used to describe your job, something needs to change. You want people to think that you were made for this job, when they think of a leader in that role- they should think of you immediately.  You can change what people think of you- consistency and authenticity are THE most important take always. Be YOU, and be consistent with your mission statement of what you want to do.

2. Social Media- How will you "brand" yourself? What are your pictures, quotes, comments, etc. say about the person you are? Before you post something, think:

It is approval seeking?
It this a fleeting emotion?
Is it kind?
Would I say it TO the person?
Is this a moment that I want to protect?

So often, we post things without thinking about the long term effects.. I want to keep this in mind when I am bored, and wanting to share a picture, or boast about something personal.  Is this the best way to use my time? Probably not. 

3. Finally, a speaker talked about ways to have more fruitful conversations. In counseling, we NEED this in order to be effective. We need to think of both parties, not make assumptions, think about diversity, and be willing to learn something new. This is very subjective, but I want to improve these skills, and I have the ability to practice everyday!

Below is the schedule, I highly encourage you to check it out!



Feeling extra inspired,
Your Floridian Chick :)