Thursday, November 13, 2014

Me recipe- Human Diversity lesson


During the month of October, I spent my time in 3rd grade guidance. The themes of my month long guidance lessons included human diversity, discrimination, bullying, and how to be a friend. Below is the first activity I did with the students. Our theme this yeas is cooking so I wanted to incorporate that into my lesson. My first lesson I discuss that we are all different and go over 4 categories: skin color, ethnicity, gender, and socioeconomic status (how we spend our money based on our interests). After discussing this, I ask them to make their "ME ReciPE" in which they draw a picture of themselves, then write down the "ingredients" that make up who they are. Their recipes are hung outside their classroom and the students have the opportunity to see how each person is completely different from the other.

Easy lesson that they enjoy- hope you can use it too!

Adding ingredients each day,
Your Floridian Chick