Tuesday, June 23, 2015

Reading celebration

Blogging friends, 

I am embarrassed to be posting this so late. It seems that the spring and end of the year got away from me, and I have not been posting weekly like I usually do. With that said, I am here to share an annual activity that our school does at the end of each school year. 

The reading celebration is for those students who have read 25 books or more during the school year. This can be a great activity for you to implement next year as you start to plan over the summer. 

We have every home room travel with their home room teacher to different activities throughout the school. These include:

2 story telling rooms
Sidewalk chalk with the art teacher
Relay races with the gym teacher
Dance in the cafeteria with the music teacher
2 jumpy houses
Food station with popcorn and snow cone maker

Each station is 25 minutes long, and the classes are paired up,so everyone is involved in something at some point. The classes then get lunch and have a movie in the afternoon in their classrooms. Around 2pm, the entire school was invited to the cafeteria where the leadership team was pied in the face by the top reader from each grade. Yes, I was pied, yes the whipped cream was everywhere, and all over parts of my body that I didn't know got hit, and yes, it was as sticky as you can imagine. 


This was not an expensive day, and we did not need a lot of extra hands to make it happen. The resource teachers did their part, the reading coach and myself were story tellers, and we have 2 PTA Members do the food stations. 

This is a simple day that the students loved! Hopefully you can do at your school next year!

Whipped (cream),
Your sticky Floridian chick