Sunday, July 5, 2015

ASCA for First Timers

When I say this was last minute, I really mean last minute. On June 1 if you had told me I would be going to a conference that would change my perspective on this career, I wouldn't have believed you. Yet little did I know, I would be offered the opportunity to go, and the rest is history.

 In the few shorts weeks.. well days..before this trip, I had preconceived expectations of what this week would look like. I figured there would be some good sessions, some slower sessions, and maybe I would get to meet a friend or two from my Twitter account. BUT when I'm wrong, I say I'm wrong and this is a perfect example of why expectations can change our mindset. This conference fundamentally is about connecting, networking, building, growing, and expanding our knowledge base of counseling on the school setting ( too many verbs, I know....). 

As soon as I got to the Phoenix airport, the butterflies in my stomach, and the feeling of excitement took over. Starting with registration, the exhibit hall, and obviously the people- this conference is a well oiled machine and I commend the staff who worked so hard to make this as amazing as it was. Over the next few posts, I will be sharing the highs and... well highs of this conference, and give you my perspective of the take aways from this experience. So without further a due, I give you perspective 1: the opening session.

My first question: How do they get these speakers?! Everyone left me in awe of their passion for what they do. 

Opening session: Fredi Lajvardi is a long time teacher, and now famous movie star from "spare parts" who chose to take teaching to another level. Working in an inner city, low income school- he spent time with students outside of the regular school day to create and compete underwater robotics. The story goes on to tell that they beat MIT, and many other universities with their GRIT, perseverance, and ability to do what others thought they couldn't. 

Wow- what a way to start a this week- it got my mind thinking about what I can be doing to build GRIT and improve my character education program. Readers: Your ASCA15 post nĂºmero uno homework assignment: watch the movie, and pick up a copy of the book!

#ASCA15'd,
Just the beginning!