Thursday, July 30, 2015

Child abuse prevention conference

VERY interesting statistics
Child abuse: everyone knows it exists, but the thought makes your skin crawl. I was able to attend the Crimes Against Kids Conference, put on by the Florida network of Child Advocacy Centers, The National Child Advocacy Center was there to represent as well, and WOW! Some amazing people with great research presented. The statistics are startling, and while it brings me anxiety to think about the safety of our children- I am resting assured knowing that we have very capable,proactive law enforcement investigators that  know what to do to catch those who are mentally unstable. 

I came away with two key points from this conference:

1. As mental health providers, and law enforcement, we truly passionate about helping others, especially children. We need to be very cognizant of our OWN mental health. We work with confidential cases that are heartbreaking to hear. How we deal and process this kind of information is crucial for our stability and lifestyle. 

Me & our favorite Mouse:)
2. Child (physical, sexual, emotional) abusers are smart- they know how to talk to children online, what to say to them, how to convince a whole school/town to think they are someone they aren't (i.e. Jerry Sandusky anyone?) while I want to trust others, I think we all need to be alert 110% of the time- in order to protect those we care about. 


The more conferences I go to, the more I interact with people of the same passion I do for education, mental health- the more I am learning about all the ways to unify the community to protect, grow, and hopefully help people be the best they can be! 

I'll leave you with a little hint of where I was:)

Gotta love those ears,

Your Floridian Chicka