Tuesday, July 7, 2015

Life Lessons from Broadway


I will definitely be getting to the #ASCA session details soon, but the speakers just kept blowing me away. Sometimes it takes a different perspective (i.e.- a broadway dancer turned author?!), to see the gifts that life has given you.

The closing keynote before we all drove/flew away from ASCA15, was an amazing Broadway performer, and author of the middle schools books, "Better Nate than ever!",  and "Five, Six, Seven, Nate!" Tim Federle. While he is a gifted speaker, and obviously talented performer, his message was worthwhile, honest, and inspiring. most of all. He gave us 7 life lessons that he wished someone had told him when he was young. I do NO justice to his words, but here is my recap:

" I wish someone had told me...":

1. The struggles in life help us define who we are.

  •  Think about a tough time in your life, how did you get through it? How did it make you stronger? When I got diagnosed with Multiple Sclerosis, who knew that would be the gift of a lifetime?!
2. Perfectionism is overrated. GRIT will get you where you want to go.

  •  If everything was easy, we wouldn't appreciate what we've got.  Thank goodness someone said this, I am about as imperfect as it gets these days, but I am willing to push up my sleeves and get a little dirty. 

3. The world has bullies, they exist in all ages, types, and forms. Build resiliency and coping skills to be able to work with these people. 

  • PREACH IT Tim! If he wrote an entire book with only this line, I would buy 10 copies.
4. Follow your dreams, but also follow your one line ideas- the wims- they can become something you never would have dreamed of. 

  • Try it all out, you never know where life will take you. I started to think like this when I got to college, but I wish I had started earlier. 
5. Be nice-to everyone, from the top of the totem pole, all the way to the bottom.

  • Character education at its finest! Let's be serious, everyone was at the bottom at some point (maybe some of us are still there:)). 
6. Everyone is always starting over. We are "growing ups", not grown ups. No matter your age, we always want to try something new, go somewhere different, explore those places, those things. You might find something new that sparks your interest.

  • You've never done growing. I tell my students this often, "when I grow up I want to be..." They look at me funny, but I tell them I am not done my career/aspirations. I hope I never will be.
7. You never know who will change your life. 

  • Go out on a limb, meet someone new- that's where you find the fruit. If someone has hold me in 7th grade, I would be marrying the guy across the room, I would've fallen off my chair. 
While he produced MUCH more laughter than I ever could, his message was from the heart. Using these ideas,  I think we can all come away with some new perspectives, ways of thinking, that we can then share with our students. 

Wow did I love this guy! Thanks Tim for who you are, where you've been, and where you're going. 

Lessons learned,
Your Floridian chick!