Monday, July 20, 2015

Summer jobs for school counselors

Our role is kind of weird isn't it? We don't have a classroom, and we aren't principals/administration either. We work with every population under the sun (kids, parents, grandparents), and are located in a school. When I started thinking about what I do with my summer months off, and my type A, hyper, extroverted personality, I started to worry... 8 weeks with no to do list...8 weeks with no paycheck...8 weeks with time to help, but no school in session... Well life hit me like a brick- as it always does, and I found a role that was perfect for my set of gifts. This summer I have had the amazing opportunity to see what the nonprofit world is like. I am working for a child advocacy organization. This organization does indirect services for elementary school age children, and gives schools lessons and programs to implement during the school year.

I am able to learn from well trained leaders in the non-profit world as we collaborate to streamline, edit, and improve their program to make it the best it can be. I am learning a ton from this group and feel very foruntate to be improving my own communication skills, and seeing the educational system from a  completely different lense than I do during the school year.

Hope you are enjoying your summer- weather you are relaxing by a pool, or working elsewhere:)

More work but more play, 
Your Floridian chick