Monday, August 17, 2015

New Teacher Orientation

They says it's the little things that make all the difference, and this is no exception. I am starting at a new school this year and am one of a few new faculty members. The Friday before the entire faculty was asked to come back, we had a new hire orientation. They didn't waste any time giving us the most up to date information on the curriculum for each grade and subject. While school counselors obviously don't teach the reading, math, etc. components each day- it gave me a glimpse of what our kids will be learning and how it is incorporated into the resources (music, art, PE, library). This is incredibly helpful to understand the WHOLE child.

Presents each morning from my Buddy (Dunkin Donuts treats not shown:))
They also shared the history of the school, our branding, what the school stands for, and the central themes that run through each and every classroom. 

We stopped for lunch, which was when we met our "shark buddies"(teachers/faculty members who have been working at our school before this year). Each new person was assigned a shark buddy, and we had the opportunity to eat lunch together and spend some time getting to know one another. 

This entire day was so proactive; I was blown away session after session. I felt so much more prepared for the first day of preplan, and now I have a few familiar faces that I know:). 

This is simple to implement, and I highly encourage you to incorporate this into your new school year planning. 

Excited for 15-16,

Your Floridian chick!