Tuesday, October 13, 2015

Grandparents Day Ideas to implement THIS year

Stickers each GP wore all day
Crafts in early learning
I have officially lived through 3 Grandparents Days- 25,000 steps later- all within a day and a half! Safe to say I'm feeling like a grandparent as I write this out, but doing with a smile on my face.

We broke grandparents down into 3 separate events (pre-k3 through Kindergarten, first throughthird, and fourth through sixth grade).  We had similar agendas for each section, and kept it short and sweet for grandparents to get a picture of what our school stands for. Each session lasted for a little over 2 hours, which seemed to be the perfect amount of time to tire out the grandparents, but not let the entire school go without academics. 

Agenda for the morning session
The agenda, listed below, shows a morning greeting, then splitting off to the home room classes where they spent time with their grandchild, other children, and  teacher. Each classroom had a different activity, but all encouraged conversation about the differences/similarities between grandparent and grandchild's schooling.

Not only is this a fun day for the students and families- it is a phenomenal marketing plan for the school! We get to show off who we are and what we stand for.

Personally, for the school counselor, my role was to welcome guests, visit every classroom, and connect with families and children. I also got to sneak in driving the golf cart to pick up those who didn't want to walk.
Greeting and Welcome Area

Cutest song sung by 1st grade!
I'm sharing this to show how important relationships are. Love is the strongest emotion the body can feel, and when we bring that into our schools, it makes the students stronger, the learning brighter, and the day more intentional and fun.

I hope you have a grandparents day, my old school did not, and now that I see what it does for our students and school- I can't go back!

3rd grade coupon book
Interviews in second grade
The older they are, the more knowledge they can share,

Your Floridian Chick!








Early Learning Butterfly room