Wednesday, November 11, 2015

Developing professionally at Sea World

How awesome is this?
Refreshed, and ready to improve! That is how I felt after attending the annual FSCA convention in Orlando earlier this month. As an elementary school counselor, we do not have the luxury of working with other counselors in our daily routine. That is why it is imperative to seek out opportunities like this, to collaborate and communicate with others, in order to learn and grow. I attended 5 break out sessions including:

  • On the road to a data informed school counseling program
  • Worrywarts: Alleviating anxiety through school counselor interventions
  • The art of Mindfulness
  • Creating Compelling Charts: A picture is worth a thousand words
  • Overcoming Challenges to implementing effective small group counseling with adolescents
What I love about these professional development weekends is the variety of topics I can learn about in a matter of 48 hours. From learning about how to drive my program through data, to small group topics and implementations, to bringing mindfulness into the classrooms and to our faculty. I  have to be honest, the art of mindfulness was a little selfish on my part. I feel that sometimes I am "mind full" NOT "mindful" and I wanted to learn more about this topic to help myself and our school. 

I will be posting more about these topics in the next few weeks. I hope this encourages you to attend your next conference- they really are a wonderful experience and is left me thinking: I can make my program better by doing....(the list was long!)

Upward and Onward,

Your Floridian Chicka