Friday, January 13, 2017

Building Empathy

Friends, it has been more than a while since my last post. That whole job thing gets in my way of posting and keeping you up to date on the latest details of my school counseling life.  In all honesty, life at school has been more than I could have dreamed of, and luckily lots of creating has been going on in my little corner of school these days.

I recently came across a great clip on empathy for faculty and staff that you might want to share as well. This could be used at the beginning of the year, mid year as a reminder to teachers to be empathetic, or during a month that you might focus on empathy for character education.

Empathy short video

It is a 3 minute video that truly helps you understand the difference between empathy and sympathy.

Why do teachers need this?

Sometimes we (I!) make judgements on other peoples circumstances.
Sometimes we (I!) want to tell about me, when all the other person wants is to be heard.
Sometimes we (I!) "silver line" circumstances, which is not what the person wants to hear- at ALL!


Hopefully you can share this with your staff, or at least watch it yourself. It was eye opening to me, and I hope it is for you too!


Your silver-liner,

The Floridian Chick